Exactly 1 year I want to talk in detail Sky High Cakes. I know because I made my first engagement for Toya year ago and she marries the next week. Since I made the other as Phantom chocolate cake almond paste-, the Cake Poker and more recently Sky High Lorrain framboises-vanille but I had not taken the time to post the Engagement Cake green tea and raspberry. Here is the short lesson Sky High cakes…
Sky High cake, kesako?
A Sky High cake category is American pastries and a cake means of at least 3 layers which makes "high as heaven", it is also called "layers cake» (Diaper cakes) England and sometimes preceded by the number of layers "triple-layers cake"Or"four-layers cake"For example. A France, we denote by "multi-layer cake», not to be confused with "layer cake" which designates him a cake layers with a diameter tapering. There was a few years, I wondered tasting a Carrot Cake 3 strata, how you came to cut a cake so perfectly 3 layers and then add the icing. I quickly found the answer, it is not cutting a cake 3 strata, is cooked separately 3 cakes which are then overlaid with layers of frosting or other. It is through this that the layers are so perfect. The concept is simple, it is always a cake made with 3 or more layers of cake interiors that are superimposed by inserting a layer of frosting between each cake and then covered completely with icing. There are of course variations (see below).
What I love about these cakes is that outdoor, guess it does not much and that the different layers are revealed when cutting from, creating a lovely effect and very professional with little difficulty. It immediately gives an impression of birthday cake and this lends itself to 1000 variations and decorations according to your tastes or those of one who is for the cake. A little imagination and you will do wonders without difficulty. You just set aside some time, the easiest way is often to make the cakes (and inserts if you opt for) the day before and the icing on D-Day.
Photo du Pink Rainbow Cake the incredible blog Call me cupcake
- The ideal is to have 3 molds of the same size. If this is not the case, you can either make several successive firings by cleaning out the pan between each cooking well and dividing the dough into equal parts in advance using a balance; or (but I do not recommend it too, it never works completely) make a cake very high and cut into 3 horizontally with a wire cutter cake or a long sharp knife.
- La taille standard d’un Sky High à 3 layers is 20-22cm in diameter and about 10cm in height (including icing). We therefore use molds 18 or 20cm diameter. The proportions of income are given for this diameter then and this is a cake for 6-8 people depending on the texture (over the cake is light, the more you cut large pieces). If you want to get this diameter but you do not have a mold that size, you can bake your cake in larger molds, cut a circle 18cm in diameter in a box, place it on each cake and cut each cake with the tip of a knife along the edges of the circle (but in this case consider increasing slightly the amount of dough for the loss if the layers are thinner). To you to be resourceful, I have already used such a pan-handle removable as a mold for the desired size.
- If you want to invest in a set of 3 or 4 suitable molds, they must choose 18 or 20cm in diameter and 4-5cm deep and bottom amovible.Vous find in I love cakes or Anglo-Saxon sites under the name “20cm loose based sandwich tin”.
The cake inside:
- They should be the number of 3 and (beyond 4, do not make cakes too thick or it may be really high share of). Good if not, it also works with only 2 cakes, but it is not so funny.
- In workmanlike, cakes interiors are all identical but may differ in several ways. You can have fun with colors and always the same but different colors cakes (see photo of Pink Rainbow Cake below). One can also alternate different texture of cakes (see my Poker Cake ); when the texture of cakes are really different, I do not add inserts.
- Is superimposed cakes always face towards (the face that touched the mold) above for the surface is as flat as to spread the glaze.
- The cakes should always be of identical diameters, otherwise it is no longer a Sky High but a "layer cake". They are normally the same thickness but why not make them different thicknesses for effect when cutting from.
- The texture of the cake should not be too brittle or too soft, because they must be superimposed. If you use such a recipe of chocolate cake melting, Prepare the cake the day before and let stand in refrigerator overnight to harden them.
- Cakes, cakes with yoghurt, chocolate cakes, Genoa, Lorraine cakes… all types cakes are possible. You just they do not swell too flat to form layers. If they are a little bounce, the fact of the return is often enough to flatten; if that does not, it will then cut with a long sharp knife inserted horizontally on top of cake anything over.
- To adapt a classic cake recipe, I multiply the quantities by 1,5 for 3 cakes interiors 18cm diameter. If you are many, you can only 2 strata, by doubling the recipe of your favorite cake and use molds lacked normal size, this will make you a cake so high but larger.
Photos of Pink Rainbow Cake's incredible blog Call me cupcake
The inner layers of glaze or inserts (not sure what it's called like that, In any case it is the name I give them when it's not icing) :
- There is always a layer of icing inside insert or less than the number of cakes they are intercalated between 2 cakes and we always start the training by a cake placed on the platter.
- This is so classic icing that is spread on top of each cake before filing a second cake on top. We then ice the entire cake and that's what that feels like cutting a slice the cakes were inserted into the icing icings because magically join the inner side of cake frosting. The frosting is more dense, more we can do thick layers. Can be colored glazes interior of another color as the above but the junction between the 2 may be less attractive when cutting.
- You can also create inserts that are not icing to add a color or texture of most cake. In this case, Discs were cut to the size of the size of the molds with the point of a knife and deposited between each cake. It is can almond paste, sugar pulp, by fruit jelly… unleash your imagination.
The icing higher:
- This is often a butter icing that can give depth and create patterns on the cake. And it is mostly the same as that used frosting between cake interior.
- Otherwise, and especially if you put inserts, not the frosting between the cakes, you can cover the cake with marzipan, pulp sugar or other type of liquid that glazes over the butter icing, such as royal icing or the glossy black glaze or simply melted chocolate… If you use this type of icing liquid, it is recommended to first cover the cake with marzipan or sugar paste to obtain a smooth surface but it is especially if you are perfectionists.
The “almost” Sky High (only 2 strata): Chocolate cake Ghost-marzipansThe “almost” Sky High (no inserts but different center of cake 2 other): Cake in.because
The Sky High Lorrain framboises-vanille
Le Sky High: Engagement Cake green tea and raspberry
Recipe for icing I love cake
Prep: 15minutes the day before + 40mn on the same day
Cooling time in the freezer: 12hr
Serves 8 people
- 3 molds 18cm in diameter
- 280g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 100g butter
- 150g powdered sugar
- 15g of powdered matcha green tea
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100ml milk
- 1 plain yogurt
Inserts raspberries :
- 700g frozen raspberries
- 75g sugar
- 6 gelatin
Glaçage Swiss meringue buttercream (butter cream on the basis of Swiss meringue):
- 150g of egg white (5 eggs)
- 130g powdered sugar
- 430g butter at room temperature, cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons of natural raspberry flavor
- slightly pink dye gel or powder
- 1 pinch of salt
Prepare inserts raspberries: The day before, heat in a saucepan raspberries and sugar. Remove from heat, add gelatine soaked in cold water and drained. Put the plastic wrap at the bottom of cake pans two identically sized (which will also serve to make the cakes). Let cool a few minutes then pour into two cake pans on a little less than 1cm in height. Do it in the freezer to insert both discs raspberries between three cakes with green tea.
Prepare three cakes with green tea: On the day you serve, preheat oven to 180 ° C. Mix in a bowl, flour, salt, baking powder and green tea powder (and baking soda).
In another bowl, Beat the eggs with a whisk, then add sugar and mix well. Pour melted butter over this mixture, stirring constantly, then add the milk and yogurt. Stir in flour-yeast mixture first and mix.
Pour 1/3 of the preparation in each of the 3 buttered cake molds. Bake the cakes and cook for 35 minutes 180°. Let cool 15 minutes before unmolding.
Prepare the final cake: On a platter, ask first cake upside (face that touched the mold above). The inserts out of the freezer and carefully remove the cling film. Placing an insert still frozen on the first cake. Add a second cake upside (face that touched the mold above) over and then insert the second and the third still upside down cake. Refrigerate for inserts that are beginning to thaw slowly.
Prepare the frosting: In a heat-resistant container, Mix egg whites, sugar and salt. Place over a water bath (the bowl should not touch water) and whisk you off until the sugar dissolves and mixture is hot to the touch (70° electronic thermometer), it takes about 5 minutes.
Pour the mixture into the bowl of your food (or in a bowl with egg beaters) and whisking at high speed with the whisk until the preparation cools, must be air texture and cream well brilliant (it takes about 10 minutes).
Stir in butter on medium speed (for the mixer,, use the sheet), one piece at a time. Once it is incorporated, add a little dye until the desired color, increase the speed slightly and continue to whisk for about 3 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl and beat 2 minutes at low speed (or by hand) to remove air bubbles.
Frost cake: Cover the 3 cakes and the end sides of a layer of glazing with a spatula. Then put the remaining frosting into a pastry bag with a knurled sleeve and decorate as you please. Add raspberries if desired.
Refrigerate until time of tasting.
The icing will keep for 6 to 8 weeks in the freezer or a week in the refrigerator in an airtight. Suffice it to bring it to room temperature and refouetter 5 minutes before using.