What I like with the early fall season is that we still want to eat salad because it is not too cold yet and we can enjoy a whole new lot of seasonal produce. I love the slightly sweet and savoury salads and this fig, blue cheese and walnut salad is one of the hits of the season for me. I love the different flavours – the sweetness of the figs and the acidity of the blue cheese – and textures with the crunchiness of the walnuts. Add a few crumbs crispy Pancetta and I am in salad heaven.
To season the whole thing, I found nothing better than my little honey and soy sauce vinaigrette. I gives even more sweetness to this fig, blue cheese and walnut salad. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water…
- 150g baby leaf mix
- 4 figs
- 150 à 200g of Roquefort (or any other kind of blue cheese)
- a handful of walnuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon French mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix the honey and mustard and add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly using a small whisk or a fork. The sauce does not need to be too emulsified.
- Cut the figs in 8 and the blue cheese in cube. Roughly cut the walnuts.
- Divide the baby leaves on the plates. Have the equivalent of a fig (that is to say 8 pieces) on each plate and sprinkle with the cubes of cheese and walnuts.
- Pour some dressing over each plate.