Okay I admit it, I’m not a big football fan. But when France is in the semifinals of the European Cup, it’s time to make a cake to eat during the game. And this football cake definitely isn’t a small one, I had to make nothing less than 9 cake mixes to fill the tin. Enough to feed the entire French team, including substitutes and fans ;-).
Let’s go! I prepare this football field themed cake this Sunday, it will make a beautiful victory cake ;-) And no excuses, this football cake is actually super easy to make, you can even use ready-made cakes if you want. Follow the tips of your devoted coaches, Aurelie and I, and you’ll score to win!
- 1 cake rectangle (here a rectangle of 27.5 x 37.5 x 7.5cm made from a classic cake recipe multiplied by 9)
- a cake platter or a baking tray larger than the cake
- a package of chocolate or vanilla icing
- decorations plastic football field (a kit of goal frame + players)
- 2kg green fondant icing
- 1 egg white
- 300g icing sugar
- a piping bag + a small plain round tip #3 or #4
- Remove your cake from the tin. Cut off the top flat with a large serrated knife. Flip the cut side on a l cake platter larger than the cake. Cover the cake with a thin layer of icing and reserve in refrigerator.
- In the bowl of a mixer, or in a bowl using an electric mixer, add the egg whites and icing sugar and beat at low speed for 2-3 minutes then at medium speed for 5-6 minutes until the mix is shiny and firm peaks form when you take the whisk up.
- Transfer 3 tablespoons royal icing in a pipping bag fitted with plain round tip #3 or #4.
- Knead the green fondant a few moments to make it more flexible. Roll it out in a big rectangle on a surface lightly sprinkled with icing sugar using a long rolling pin. The rectangle must be large enough to cover the cake and the sides of the cake.
- Slide your forearm flat under fondant and place it on the cake. Smooth out well so that the fondant adheres to the icing layer and cut the excess dough with a knife.
- Draw the lines of the football field with the royal icing using the piping bag and arrange the goal frames and the players on the cake.