The European Cup and the Olympic Games are over, it’s time to rush to buy blue, white and red tricolour M&M’s that we found everywhere this summer and which will soon disappear from the shelves. Stock up in order to make this Captain America cake. It will please teenager (and older) fans of the superhero with the star shield! Truth to be told, the only difficulty of this cake, it is to find blue and white M&M’s. Then you just have to align the candies on the cake and you can go show off this Captain America cake to your friends. I used a brownie base for this cake as I thought it was appropriate for a Captain America ;-) theme but obviously you can put whatever you want under the shield of Captain America.
Captain America cake
Inspired by Hungry Happenings
Decoration time : 25mn
Decoration time : 25mn
- 1 pecan nuts brownie baked in a 24cm diameter tin
White chocolate icing
- 300g white chocolate
- 180g cream
- 120g unsalted butter at room temperature
Captain America decor:
- 400g M&M's red, white and blue*
- 50g white fondant icing
- a 8-9cm five-pointed star shaped cooking cutter
White chocolate icing:
- Bring the cream to a boil and pour over the the white chocolate. Emulsify the melted chocolate and hot cream with a spatula, adding the cream 3 times until the mixture is shiny and elastic. Then add the butter cut in small pieces and mix until completely melted. Allow the icing to cool for 30 minutes until it's a little less liquid.
- Once the icing is a little thicker, cover in the brownie using a spatula. Smooth out the sides and top of the cake.
- Place the candies on the top of the cake starting by the outside circle: two circles of red M&M's, 2 circles of white M&M's, 2 circles of red M&M's and finish by filling in the center of blue M&M's. Put the M&M's on the side without label, it looks better.
- Spread the white fondant and cut out a star with the cookie-cutter. Place it in the center of the cake.
- Keep the cake at room temperature, in a cool place until you eat because the M&M's do not support the humidity of the refrigerator.
*If you really can not find tricolor M&M's, select the blue and red ones in your usual packet and let the white frosting apparent to create the white stripes!