I first posted this recipe in 2013, just a few days before my wedding. And it is still very relevant: the winter is back, and like every year I can feel the cold creeping. Before I fall sick (or when I am already), I always make this delicious hearty chicken noodle soup. It is easy and full of nutrients that help my body face the cold. The turmeric in the broth helps the body fight the mean little germs from the outside.
I make this soup so often now that my husband sees me taking carrots and celery out of the refrigerator, he knows what dinner is going to be! ;-)
Cook time: 20 mins
- 450g chicken breast
- 1 knob of butter
- 6 medium carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1.5L of chicken stock *
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large handfuls of vermicelli (or spaghetti broken into pieces)
- fresh chives (optional)
- Over medium heat, sauté the chicken breasts in a pan for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and wash celery stalks and finely dice them. The smaller the diced vegetables are, the better. When the chicken breasts are golden brown on both sides, dice them too.
- Melt a knob of butter in a pan and sauté the diced carrots and celery for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add the flour and turmeric, mix well to coat all the vegetables and cook 1 minute more.
- Then add the chicken stock, pasta and chicken. Let simmer over medium heat until the pasta is al dente (look at the time indicated on the packet), they will continue to cook a little off the heat. Salt and pepper.
- Serve Chicken noodle soup hot sprinkled with chopped chives